General Information Mangement Competence Certification - GIMC-Certification® Towards mitigating information risk, promoting operational excellence & efficiency and ultimately reducing cost of running business: The Institute of Information Management (IIM) Introduces Certification for Employees in all sectors of the economy
With the prevailing information breaches in government and private organizations in recent times, the Institute of Information Management (IIM) recently introduced a unique certification program aimed at mitigating information risk and raising the awareness among stakeholders and employees in various organisations.
Information, in whatever form, is a valuable asset to any organisation (public or private). It is the basis on which strategic decisions are made and daily tasks are performed. Management executives, employees, customers and other stakeholders all rely on that information being timely, reliable, accurate and complete.
Its no surprise to see insider threats as the biggest risk to information management and security as employees will always be the one thing that cannot be controlled.
Employees and other information users within any organisation constitute one of the greatest threats to information security, as the individuals closest to the organizational data and information. They do not necessarily have to be malicious to put a company at risk due to the fact that they may not understand the possible risks and consequences associated with their actions.
Good information can be undermined in many ways, as corrupted or compromised information can cause a wide range of problems, from those that are simply annoying to those that could have a major impact on an organisation’s future. Information risk encompasses all the challenges that result from an organisation’s need to control and protect its information.
Why employees and other stakeholders should be certified?
The value of information as an asset goes beyond its volume. Usually the basis on which management, clients and investors make vital decisions, so it is essential for that information to be available, reliable, accurate and complete.
IIM research has confirmed that effective staff training and certification can halve the number of insider breaches, by ensuring employees understand the importance of information management, security and their role in protecting businesses critical information.
The success of any organisation will depend largely on the trust and goodwill of employees, vendors/suppliers, customers, and the public at large, so it is essential that all its information is properly managed, controlled and protected.
The GIMC-Certification can have a huge impact on all kinds of insider information security threats, being the most effective means to combat negligence that could results in data loss or exposure as:
- Every organisation, regardless of its size or sector, handles information which must be appropriately controlled and protected against the threats, non-technical as well as technical, that can affect it.
- Unauthorized exposure/disclosure, compromised information can cause enormous damage to an organisation’s operations and reputation. Information not appropriately protected can lead to serious compliance and legal failures.
- Good Information Risk Management helps an organisation get the best out of its information and allows it to move forward and develop, confident that its risks are under control.
What does GIMC-Certification entail?
- Education and certification of employees on Information Management
- Attendance and passing prescribed examination after pre-examination training
- Renewal of Certification after every three (3) Years
Ultimately, IIM GIMC-Certification will:
- Promote the awareness of information management and security across board.
- Assist employees understand the basics of what information management is, including individual roles and responsibilities in the process of information creation, storage, usage, sharing and disposition.
- Educate employees and other users on how to better manage both personal and corporate information (data privacy and protection)
- Finally, GIMC-Certification is aimed at assisting individuals and organisations understand and imbibe best practices on how to mitigate information risk and handling of sensitive information within their organisations.
About Institute of Information Management (IIM
The Institute of Information Management (IIM) is a professional membership driven Institute, developed to serve the growing community of Data, Information, Records, Document and Archives Management professionals who are tasked with managing the dynamic information life cycle within the enterprise. It is the goal of the institute to provide our members with objective insights and guidance on their career path and technology options.
About IIM General Information Management Competence Certification (GIMC-Certification)
The General Information Management Competence Certification (GIMC-Certification) is a certification program developed by the Institute of Information Management (IIM) Africa targeted at all levels of employees and users in every organization. The certification program is aimed at promoting the awareness of information management and security across board. With employees getting to understand what information management is, their roles and responsibilities in managing personal and corporate information, data privacy and protection, information sharing, mitigating information risk and other sensitive areas of information management within their organisation.